Monday, January 30, 2012

Say What???

Yesterday morning me and the boys went out for breakfast cafeteria style.  Just after sitting down I overheard a conversation from a customer to the store manager.  I don't know how old the customer was (not elderly in my book) but he said something like this.  "...let's just hope the economy continues to improve.  Although it doesn't really matter to me since I am retired.  I get to sleep late and play golf.  You guys will get there someday." Commenting on his points one-by-one:
1)  Hope-- while nice is not a strategy and one upon which the manager's job performance  is not measured.
2)  It doesn't really matter to a retiree?  A retiree often has the fewest choices and is in the least position to manage risk in a quickly changing environment.
3)  Ken Wilber writer and philosopher suggests there is not enough money in the world to fill the gap between peoples expectations and reality.  Sleep late and play golf might work for a few but not the many.
4)  You guys will get there someday.  See #3 above and tongue in cheek--"I hope so."

This unsuspecting man so willing to espouse his opinions and circumstances surely was not aware I was doing such an analysis of his comments.  However, I wonder, if we are just thinking out loud in public what is the highest possible use and impact of what we say.  Did I mention there was a 10 year boy and a 34 year old young man with me overhearing the same stuff? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP