Friday, June 5, 2015

Disability "Insurance"--the REAL Thing

In the dental business--according to insurance companies--the number one cause of disability insurance claims is due to neck and back issues. Just imagine that you spend your entire day seated and leaning over a patient with at least a little tension in the room;-)  That seems like a prescription for some sort of physical therapy to counter the long-term potentially negative effects.  However, in my 33 years in business the most common solution is to buy disability insurance--which is more expensive than ever and not nearly as good as it used to be.  Recently, a dentist client asked 
me about my yoga practice.  He had seen on a dental blog site a mention about Bikram Yoga and how it helped significantly improve the physical experience of a dentists practice.  Next thing I know is the guy shows up at the yoga studio. 

He is early in his career with a few kids at home and starting to feel the effects of the dental practice on his neck.  After a couple of weeks I asked how it was going for him on the mat.  He said--"I felt better after two classes."  Many months later he is still making it a few times a week.

Now THAT'S disability insurance if I ever heard of it!!!  Patanjali is an ancient yoga dude who said about yoga--"you can see trouble heading your way and can do something about it."   The 3 components of RISK MANAGEMENT are:

  1. Risk Avoidance  (limit dangerous activities)
  2. Risk Transfer  (insurance)
  3. Risk Reduction  (yoga, wear a seat belt)              

Can you imagine how much more vibrant a dad, doing what this dad is, will be over the years than one who JUST has disability insurance?  Isn't it more likely that a dentist with a yoga practice will be HAPPIER practicing dentistry longer?  

I personally chose yoga 25 years ago as an exercise plan I could do for the rest of my life.    It has succeeded in that and also informs everything I do and think in ways totally unexpected and amazing.  It works for me and it appears to be working for this young dentist.

What works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP