Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Lucy's Last Wishes

LUCY IS FINE AND DOING WELL for a 17+ year old dog.  However, recently she was suffering from a persistent cough and after a few trips to the vet I had a moment.  Here is how it went--

Vet--she is still coughing and the pills seem to help but it won't go away?
Me--yes
Vet--get a refill and bring her in for an x-ray next Tuesday.
Me--OK
Vets office--the vet also said he wants to do blood work to confirm whether she has heart worms.
Me--OK
Tuesday on the way to the vets office I came to the conclusion with sadness and tears that IF the x-ray showed cancer I would do nothing and IF the blood work showed heart worms there is nothing that can be done.  
Me--standing at the vets office--am i right that there is nothing that can be done for heart worms if they are there?
Vets office--yes
Me--then if I don't plan to do anything either way is there any need to do these tests?
Vets office--no (said with compassion)

Today Lucy is sleeping under my desk with her hind leg quivering.  She is a really good friend who is one of the most popular members of our team.  What I hope for is that if I or anyone I love is in a similar situation for themselves or others that they will be as emotionally clear as I was in making what felt like a  
life or death decision for another being. 

It is much easier in our world to be this way for a dog than a human so do what you can to make sure your people know what your last wishes would be.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP