Thursday, June 13, 2019

Thoughtful Decision-Making

A few weeks ago, I was meeting with my state legislators. Eventually, the subject of our conversation turned to Oklahoma’s voting process – or more accurately: how ridiculously difficult that process is.

Recalling my own voting experience, I remembered wondering how in the world we average folks are expected to make thoughtful decisions on the ballot when there are 34 different checkmarks we’re supposed to make? 

And, yes, there were 34 – I counted. 

I spent a lot of time that week trying to make a thoughtful assessment, and it just wasn’t possible. There were too many options, and for each option there was too much information that we citizens don’t have access to or don’t know where to go get it. 

How are we supposed to navigate all that?  How are we supposed to know which judge we should vote for or against?  Who or what organization can we trust to help us make an informed decision?  How does using a double negative in a ballot issue do anything but confuse (the voter) or encourage an outcome different than expected?

Regretfully, I don’t have an answer. But I most definitely have some thoughts. Namely, it’s outrageous that the process for casting a simple vote is so overly complicated. It’s in direct conflict with democracy, and I found myself thinking of the saying: “Winners make the rules, losers follow them.” 

From an economic standpoint, it sure seems like the people with the money are indeed making all the rules.  How can WE as voters encourage our lawmakers to help us take charge of our responsibility as a voter by making it MORE possible for us to make informed decisions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP